Open Street Map surveillance cam - tutorial⌗
This tutorial will explain how to add surveillance cameras to Open Street Map.
What is Open Street Map?⌗
Open Street Map is a map of the entire world. It can be edited by anyone and can record an extensive set of features. It is basically Wikipedia but as a map. One of the things it can record is the location of surveillance infrastructure such as cameras.
This section of the tutorial assumes you don’t have an Open Street Map account.
- Go to (https://www.openstreetmap.org)
- Click on the “Sign Up” button
- Enter the required details to set up an account
This section of the tutorial shows how to get to the part of the world where the surveillance camera is found.
- Click on the “Edit” button in the upper left side of the website screen
- You can click on the walkthrough for help
- The “search features” box is in the left side of the website and useful for navigating
- If you have geographical coordinates, you could enter them in the “search features” box in the format latitude,longitude as decimal degrees
- search for the place the camera is in under the “search features” box
This section is shows how to edit the map and add surveillance cameras you know about.
- Click on the “point” option in the upper left corner of the map
- Click on the location the camera is in
- you can click and drag the point as needed
This shows how to tell people that it is a surveillance camera and provide extra information that might be useful to people.
- Once you add the point you will see a lot of different types of features as well as a search box below the “select feature type” header
- Click on the search box and type “surveillance”
- click on the “surveillance camera option that should appear
- There a a lot of boxes to fill out with different features of the camera, fill out the details according to your knowledge
Breakdown of Different Fields⌗
This section is to go over the different options for information to fill out and what they mean.
- Surveillance Kind: What kind of surveillance camera is it? For example: Is it an outside camera? Is it indoors? Is it privately owned? Etc.
- Surveillance Type: What is watching? Basically is it a camera? Is it a guard? is it a license plate reader?
- Camera Type: What type of camera is it? Does it stay on one position? Does it move around? Is it one of those dome cameras that are difficult to see into?
- Camera Mount: What is the camera attached to?
- Direction: Which direction does the camera face? It is measured in degrees where 0 is north
- Surveillance Zone: What type of area is it watching?
- Webcam URL: If it is a webcam, what is the URL the webcam is pointing to?
Do You Have Information Not Covered in These Options?⌗
You could end up having extra information about the camera that would be useful to know, but that does not appear as a field. Some extra fields are hidden.
- At the bottom of the screen, just above the “All tags” option, there’s a drop down menu for “Add field”
- When you click on it, there are other useful options
Some Possibilities of Extra Fields⌗
These fields might be useful to add.
- Sources: possibly for citations
- Level: What floor is the camera found on? 0 is ground level, negative numbers go deeper into the basement floors, positive numbers are above the ground floor.
- Notes: any additional information you find relevant
Some Ideas to Put as Notes⌗
- What brand and model is the camera?
- (If mobile) What is the camera’s range of motion?
- What is the camera’s field of view?
- Do you know about any blind spots?
- Does it only record visible light, or is it a thermal camera?
- Is it processed using facial recognition or AI?
- Does it also record audio?
- Are there more than one entries from the “surveillance kind” field that fit the description? Put the remaining ones here
Edit a Second Time⌗
This might be useful if you, for example, find out new information about the camera, or if the camera has been replaced by a different one
- Double click on the point you created
- When you do, a banner saying “edit feature” should appear along with details you entered
- Click on the box just below the “edit feature” header
After You Finish Editing the Camera⌗
- Click on the “save” button in the upper right corner of the map
- Continue adding or editing other cameras you found out about